France is one of the most popular destinations in Europe and offers more than just charming cities and romantic landscapes. A road trip through France is an excellent way to really get to know the country and discover its unique culture and history. In this article we will recommend an individual itinerary that will take three weeks and will provide a trip through some of the most beautiful places and landscapes of France.
To plan a perfect itinerary for a three-week road trip through France, we need to consider different regions of the country. Taking into account your travel time and budget, we have put together an itinerary that will allow you to discover famous sights and hidden treasures. We have also added tips and recommendations for places to stay, restaurants and activities along the way to make your trip unforgettable.
If you are traveling alone or with your family, this route will give you an amazing experience and a comprehensive journey through the picturesque landscapes and culture of France. Read on to learn more about our recommended itinerary and our tips and recommendations for your road trip through France!
Our itinerary for the road trip France
After months of planning and anticipation, we finally start our 3-week road trip through France. Our itinerary is customized and includes many sights and natural attractions. We are ready for an adventure full of new experiences and impressions.
First we go to Paris, the city of love. We will climb the Eiffel Tower, visit the Notre-Dame and stroll the alleys in Montmartre. Afterwards, our route will take us to the picturesque region of Burgundy, where we will have a wine tasting at a winery.
Our way leads us further to the south of France, to Provence. Here we will visit the impressive lavender fields and drift around charming towns like Avignon and Aix-en-Provence. Verdon Nature Park, with its breathtaking gorges and lakes, is also on our itinerary.
Our final destination is the Côte d’Azur, where we will experience the glamorous charm of southern France in Nice and Cannes. Here we will also spend a few days relaxing on the beach and enjoying the sun. Our road trip ends in Marseille, where we will say goodbye to France.
- Tip 1: Plan enough time to visit all the sights and places on your route.
- Tip 2: Avoid the main roads to discover remote and unknown places.
- Tip 3: Always pack a map and guidebook to get around without internet and GPS.
Practical tips for the road trip France
France is the perfect destination for a road trip and has much to offer. With a custom itinerary, you can see everything that interests you and have complete flexibility. We’ve put together some handy tips that will help you make your road trip through France even better!
- Plan your route in advance. Make a list of the must-see sights, cities and regions you want to visit.
- Reserve accommodations in advance. Especially in the popular regions, it can get crowded quickly.
- Always remember to allow enough time for driving and sightseeing. It’s better to visit fewer places but have more time than to rush around.
- When driving on country roads, be aware of speed limits and priority rules. In France there are some specific rules you should know.
- Also note that tolls may apply on freeways. Plan these into your travel expenses.
- Don’t forget that it can often be difficult to find a parking space in French cities. It is best to use public transportation or book a parking space in advance.
With these practical tips, your road trip through France will be an unforgettable experience. Enjoy the beauty of the country and discover its many facets!
Interesting sights to see along your custom road trip route through France
There are so many beautiful places and sights along the individual route through France that it is difficult to mention them all. However, there are some highlights that you should definitely not miss.
- Mont-Saint-Michel: This small island with its unique architecture and history is a must-see for any visitor to Normandy.
- Étretat: The spectacular coastline of Étretat with its steep cliffs and bright blue waters will leave you speechless.
- Les Baux-de-Provence: this medieval village on a hill is a perfect combination of history and landscape.
- Colmar: The charming town in Alsace will take you back in time with its colorful half-timbered houses and narrow alleys.
Besides these well-known sights, you should also consider visiting some lesser known, but still fascinating places. For example, you can visit the medieval mountain village of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, visit the Grotte de Lascaux or visit the famous wineries in Burgundy.
Regardless of what you visit on your individual route through France, you will be amazed by the beauty and diversity of this fascinating country.
Hidden highlights off the main route
France is known for its numerous sights and varied landscape. But away from the main routes, there are also many hidden highlights to discover. These places are often less crowded and offer a unique insight into the culture and history of the region. A road trip through France offers the perfect opportunity to discover these hidden treasures.
A highlight off the main route is the Languedoc-Roussillon region in the south of France. Here you will find picturesque villages, impressive castles and breathtaking nature. One particular tip is the village of Minerve, perched on a rocky outcrop above the River Brian. There are spectacular views of the surrounding countryside from here. But also the small town of Pézenas is worth a visit. Here you can stroll through the historic old town and feel the charm of times gone by.
Another highlight off the main route is the Burgundy region. Here you can visit the picturesque vineyards and taste the famous wines of the region. A particularly recommended winery is Château de Pommard, which also offers tours of the cellars. But also the city of Beaune is worth a visit. Here you can visit the famous Hôtel-Dieu, an important monument of Gothic architecture.
- Tip 1: Visit the Languedoc-Roussillon region and the village of Minerve
- Tip 2: Explore the Burgundy region and visit the Château de Pommard winery
- Tip 3: Stroll through the historic old town of Pézenas and visit the Hôtel-Dieu in Beaune
Unforgettable road trip through France
A road trip through France is one of the best ways to explore the country. With a rental car and a customized itinerary, you can experience the beauty of France on your own. You have the freedom to stop at any time and stay in places you like best.
To plan the perfect 3-week road trip through France, you should first plan a rough route. If you want to explore the different regions of France, spend some time in Paris and then head to the beaches in the southwest and southeast. A route through the regions of Alsace and Burgundy is also recommended.
When planning your road trip through France, you should also book accommodation in advance. It is advisable to book at least a week in advance to ensure you find suitable accommodation. If you wish, you can also stay overnight in your car or stop at campsites. A combination of accommodation types can make your trip even more adventurous.
Get off the tourist track
Try the regional cuisine
Book a guided tour
Find out about local events
A road trip through France offers an endless number of possibilities and adventures. It is one of the best ways to learn about the country. Plan your individual itinerary, book your accommodation in advance and be ready for an unforgettable time!